The 2015 Barefoot Walk will feature a completely redesigned and restructured 2 hour sit down show from 10:30am-12:30pm. The show will aim to educate, entertain, inspire, and raise awareness for the millions of people worldwide whose basic needs are not being met. Students will have the opportunity to hear from a number of inspirational speakers, exceptional Canadian youth leaders, slam poets, performers and musicians, The Barefoot Walk’s original founders, a fun and engaging host, and more! The stage show will supplement the redesigned interactive educational booths in working to empower youth to make a positive impact in their local and global community.
After the show, participants will have the opportunity to remove their shoes and will be led in a walk around Victoria Park. This part of the day is always especially moving. Participants are given a story of a young person around the world that their walk is dedicated to. Along the path, the participants will read about their story and have a chance to reflect on the experience. The group is left with hope at the end of the walk and continues to lunch knowing that by attending they have taken a step towards making a difference. Lunch, provided by our sponsors, is then eaten in the park before having one last chance to visit the Interactive Educational Booths.
The remainder of the package will highlight these details further, however below is a list of important information that will help you and your administration become confident that this event will be a life-changing event for all!
- Everything is in place to make this as simple as possible for you and your administration. We provide you with donation forms, T-Shirts (if desired), a personal support staff, and in-school presentations free of charge, and much more!
- Over 50 elementary and high schools attended since the Walk began
- Police and Event Security will be present at the park
- A completely redesigned Risk Management Plan is in place to respond to First Aid and Emergency Situations
- Pathways are cleaned multiple times before the walk and multiple safety checks are performed on the path to secure absolute safety for participants!
- An Emergency Evacuation Plan (EEP) is developed in the case of a dangerous weather situation or other emergency situation. This plan will be available to educators prior to The Barefoot Walk for reference
- 20+ organizers and 50+ trained volunteers will be present at the park to assist you in any way
You can request an information package that includes resources for your school, with the hope that you will be interested in joining us and providing your students with our educational and inspiring experience. Our team is hard at work year round to make this day a life changing experience for all involved and we sincerely hope that you and your students will attend. From now until the walk, we will make it our priority to satisfy you in any way possible in order to achieve your support. The success of our walk depends on our participants and their educators. Please direct any questions, concerns, or comments to your respective Community and School Manager. Full contact information can be found at the end of this package. We thank you for your time and consideration and hope to see you on May 8th!
As a first time participant in “The Barefoot Walk,” I was overwhelmed (as an educator) watching my students absorb the phenominal events of the day. This incredibly touching event, truly allowed my students to live the “Me to We,” motto out loud and carry the message back to our school community. I am proud to say this walk has inspired our intermediate Bishop Townshend Ti-Cats to make our “one tribe, one pride,” stronger, in hopes of building a better tomorrow for everyone.Tammy Rees, Bishop Townshend
The Barefoot Walk allowed my students to choose where their fundraising efforts were going. This increased their commitment to the event and empowered our class to raise more money than what was raised by the school as a whole for other traditional fundraising events.Megan Morris, Byron Southwood
Educators would recommend The Barefoot Walk to other Educators.
Educators stated The Barefoot Walk met, was above, or exceeded their expectations.